Toxins and Poisons

If you suspect that your pet may have ingested a poisonous substance, please contact your veterinarian immediately.  Your pet may not show symptoms of poisoning for hours or even days, and by then it may be too late.


Permethrin is a common insecticide found in many over the counter flea and tick “spot on” products. While dogs generally tolerate it, it is poisonous to cats.  Signs of permethrin intoxication include excessive drooling, weakness, staggering, convulsions and, possibly, death.  It is very important to pay attention to warnings on the product labels and packaging. If you accidentally put permethrin on a cat, wash the animal immediately and thoroughly with a mild, non-insecticidal shampoo and contact your veterinarian. Cats can be accidentally poisoned if they groom a dog on which permethrin has been freshly applied. It is therefore important to separate cats from permethrin treated dogs in the household.

To report an adverse reaction of a pet to any pesticide, please visit the Health Canada website.

List of Toxic & Non-toxic Plants for Cats, Dogs & Horses  – This list contains plants that have been reported as having systemic effects on animals and/or intense effects on the gastrointestinal tract. Please note that the information contained in the plant lists is not meant to be all-inclusive, but rather a compilation of the most frequently encountered plants.

Top Pet Toxins of 2017

People Foods To Avoid Feeding Your Pet

Poisonous Household Products

Animal Poison Control – ASPCA

Pet Poison Helpline