UNIVERSITY OF PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
ATLANTIC VETERINARY COLLEGE
VETERINARY TEACHING HOSPITAL
OVERNIGHT VETERINARY HOSPITALISTS
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH) at the Atlantic Veterinary College (AVC), University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI) invites applications for multiple positions (up to 1.4375 FTE), to cover Monday to Friday, overnight 6 pm to 6 am shifts, as a Primary Care Veterinary Hospitalist(s) within the VTH.
Primary care veterinary hospitalists will manage the ongoing care of hospitalized primary care and referral cases in collaboration with our primary care emergency veterinarians and specialty teams. This service is provided from 6 pm to 6 am, 7 days a week. This service is not a formal part of the clinical teaching program in the VTH, although there will be exposure to students
involved with hospital cases.
We are seeking to fill multiple part-time or full-time term positions from September 1, 2023 until April 30, 2024, with possibility of extension. There is flexibility on the percentage of the appointment, and applicants interested in part-time or full-time employment are invited to apply.
– Manage the ongoing care of hospitalized primary care and referral cases in collaboration with the appropriate primary care veterinarian or specialty team
– Manage phone calls regarding referral cases to provide estimates for care under the guidance of the appropriate specialty team
– TRIAGE and assess referral cases upon arrival, prior to transfer to specialty care for further assessment
– TRIAGE, assess, and treat occasional overnight primary care emergency cases for AVC Community Practice clientele
– Work and communicate effectively with small animal services within the VTH
– Ensure that medical records are complete and accurate
– Ensure clear and professional communication for case management
– Willingness to work in a rotating overnight shift schedule to ensure overnight care 365 days a year
– Graduation from an accredited veterinary college resulting in DVM certification (or equivalent)
– Successful completion of the North American Veterinary Licensing Exam (NAVLE) resulting in a Certificate of Qualification from the CVMA (or equivalent)
– Eligibility for licensure and to practice veterinary medicine in Prince Edward Island
– Completion of a rotating internship and/or experience is considered a strong asset
– Experience working both as a solo practitioner and as part of a team of veterinarians is preferred
– Ability to work with colleagues and delegate tasks to appropriately manage priorities
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Excellent computer skills in both windows and iOS applications, with experience in electronic medical records
Hours: Hours will consist of overnight shifts from 6 pm to 6 am in a schedule averaging approximately 12 hours (0.3 FTE) to 40 hours per week (1.0 FTE). Additional hours worked are compensated as per the FA2 collective agreement.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications FA2 clinical veterinarian step 1 to step 5 salary scale
This appointment will be made at the Clinical Veterinary Professional (UPEIFA, BU2) level and is subject to final budgetary approval. Eligibility of Clinical Veterinary Professionals for benefits will be in accordance with the FA2 collective agreement.
To apply, please submit a letter of intent, a curriculum vitae and three written letters of reference
Marven MacLean, Operations Manager
Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Atlantic Veterinary College,
University of Prince Edward Island
550 University Avenue
Charlottetown, PE C1A 4P3
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with
disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Closing date is August 21, 2023.